Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Our Rock and Refuge

My favorite part of the Christmas season is the Sunday School program.  I just love working with the kids to create something magic out of the Christmas story, which really doesn't need any "magic" added to it, at all.  But it's fun to see how the kids pull together, amidst the chaos of the season, to slow us down for an hour and remind us all of the Reason for the Season. 
Pastor Mark and Nate were great about accompanying the kids on "I Will Call Upon the Lord" and "The Wise Man Built His House Upon the Rock". 

 Before the play started, we had an "open mic" time for any of our S.S. kids who wanted to sing or play an instrument.  Ally sang "We Three Kings", and...


 Paige, Shae, and Wynne sang one verse of "Silent Night" a cappella.  It was good practice for them!

 The play was called "Our Rock and Refuge", with several references to God as our Rock.  Jesus is prophecied throughout the Old Testament as our sure foundation.


The boy playing Joseph even brought along his new sister to play Baby Jesus!
Shae played Jesus as a boy (kinda like last year).  Here she is in a scene with her father, building a stone wall.  (Remember, they used whatever building materials they had on hand...which for them would have included lots of basalt stone.)  It was kind of poignant because she asked her father "Why would the builders reject the Chief Cornerstone?"
Jesus as a man was portrayed by Cy.  He even drew himself a fake beard!  Cy did a pretty good job (except for the cue cards).  Peter and the rest of the disciples were asked "Who do you say that I am?"  Of course Peter did not hesitate to say "You are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God."  Jesus responds, "And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it." (Matthew 16:18) 
 
You can't talk about the Rock without singing "The Wise Man Built His House Upon the Rock"!  Not your standard Christmas music, but definitely appropriate for the subject we were studying.
 We ended with Aaron Shust's "My Hope Is In You".  It was a powerful ending, and a reassurance that He will be with us through drought and storm.  "The peace that passes understanding is my song, and I sing my hope is in you, Lord!"
 This could have been our Christmas card picture?  If not for the blotchy gray backdrop.  (pathetically painted last year by yours truly)!
Blotchy drop and all, it was still my favorite part of Christmas!

Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your



truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in


you all day long.


– Psalm 25:4-5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home