Thursday, September 23, 2010

Timeless Treasures

This is such a beautiful month. The colors of fall are entering into the greens of summer. And God's bounty is in full force, including the apples!

I think this is the earliest our dwarf apple trees have ever produced red apples--they've been around since mid-August. I've been collecting them in the basement, waiting till the harvest was complete.

One of the greatest inventions known to man: the peeler/corer/slicer. A thing of true beauty and all six simple machines.

Wynne needed help getting the machine to do its thing, but she sure liked pulling the peel off, squealing in delight at the "candy"! I sure wish all my kids were content with such candy.

The rain forced us indoors, and soon it was time for the "big kids" to come home from school. (I can't believe I'm calling the twins "big kids" here. It depends on the situation --if we're going somewhere, they're still "little kids", but if we're talking full-time school, they're "big kids".) Paige and Shae were eager to crank up the Lifesaver, and look at the fun spiral snack Shae got to gobble up!

Most of the apples went into applesauce or pie filling, but since Dessert is one of the basic food groups at our house, we had to make something for supper, too. I dug out a recipe I've been waiting to make for a long time, my grandma's Apple Oatmeal Crinkle. I copied this recipe from my cousin Janet when we visited Kentucky last year. It's the first recipe of Grandma May's that I have.

Every time I make one of my mom's recipes, I feel closer to her, and the memories of her making it come back to me. I don't remember Grandma making this, but I did think about her and thank God for her as the girls and I put it together. I couldn't help but think of her raising TWELVE children on the farm, making all of their food and clothes, without all of the amenities we have nearly 80-some years later.

I wondered if she had little helpers who could mix up the crinkle and cinnamon sugar as eagerly as my chickies. (And a crockpot making supper in the background? ha!)

APPLE OATMEAL CRINKLE by May Myers
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oats
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
3 cups sliced apples
Mix brown sugar, rolled oats, and flour. Cut in butter to make crumbly mixture. Place half of mixture in greased 7 x 11 pan (I used a 9 x 13). Spread on sliced apples. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons cinnamon.


Top with remaining half of crumbs. Bake moderate oven 40-45 minutes. (We went with 350 degrees.)

Serve warm or cold with whipped cream, ice cream, or plain. (We went with ice cream and it was very good.)

Thanks, Grandma!



For I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois, and your mother Eunice, and I am sure that it is in you as well.--2 Timothy 1:5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home