Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Already a Decade!


Ten years ago you were born, my son. I can't believe it's already been a decade since you entered my life with your life. You were the loudest, hungriest baby in the hospital nursery and I remember feeling a mixture of glee, pride, thankfulness, and terror when our eyes first met. Ally had a baby brother! We had a son to carry on the family name! You were so big and strong, and you were born an hour before kick-off! You were healthy! And you were a totally new creature to me--a boy. My brothers are 8 years plus older than me, so I didn't really know the mechanics of boys. (I honestly can't recall ever changing a boy's diaper before you.) I wasn't ready for you at all.

I don't know if it's gender or personality or what--I suspect it's a blend of both--but you are the one kid who's kept me up at night the most. The one with the most emergency room visits...the most stitches...the most square footage of cleaning to be done after mid-night vomit attacks...and at times, the most frustrating kid to figure out. The one reason I purchased Jim Dobson's "The Strong-Willed Child". The one who can turn this house upside down the fastest with your projects or with your tantrums.

The grubbiest one. The one who's in too big of a hurry to lift the lid and aim correctly. The one who doesn't flush. The one who, ironically, uses waaaaayyyyyyyyy too much toilet paper. The one who never puts away his clothes. The one who sneaks the forbidden food and drink.

The one with the keenest sense of humor. The one who can share sarcasm and make me laugh when I'm not supposed to be laughing. The one who can share some pretty deep thoughts when I get a chance to talk to you, one-on-one.

It's been a decade of adventure, frustration, laughter, tears, super heroes, Legos, Star Wars, and God. I've never talked to God more than in this past decade, and I'm pretty sure you have a little something to do with that. I'm still not ready for you!!

But I wouldn't trade this last decade for anything. And I want the next one to slow the heck down.

Happy Birthday, Cy! Love ya, Buddy:)



A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.--John 13:34-35 ESV

1 Comments:

Blogger Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Happy Birthday, Cy!!!!!

(yeah...I also don't know anything about boys- they do seem like different creatures! LOL!)

August 26, 2010 at 4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home