Thursday, May 27, 2010

Living by the Word

In the style of "Diary of a Wimpy Kid", we asked the kids at Sunday School to journal about what they learned this year in Sunday School. I scanned their entries into a Powerpoint which we showed at church the other day. Here are my kids' entries.

Ally really captured the spirit of the Wimpy Kid journaling with her 2-page entry about the Christmas program.



Cy didn't like this entry on the 10 Commandments, but I did. I like how he took one commandment and personalized it for himself. I sometimes question if it's TRUE (as evidenced by his Lego-infested room and inordinate amount of time he spends working on them), but I still like this entry!

My ambitious son went beyond his one-journal requirement and chronicled the visit from our friend Dennis Siler of Living Waters Bible Camp. Dennis brought slides, bones, fossils, and replicas of dinosaurs back in November.




When I asked Wynne what she remembered about Sunday School this past year, the first thing she talked about was singing at Orchard Manor for the residents there. Wynne LOOOOOves to sing! (I helped get her started on the musical notes.)


Shae recapped our Journey with Jesus, where families re-enacted the last week of Jesus' earthly life. I like her Rebus-type journal entry!


But it was this entry of Shae's that started the whole idea for the "Diary" slide show. In April we were studying Psalm 23 and how Jesus is our Good Shepherd. The younger children were asked to draw a picture of how the 23rd Psalm made them feel, and this was Shae's response.

How simple and yet reassuring is that?

Our last study of the year was on Esther. Paige eagerly re-told the story:
“There was a brave queen. The king wanted to have a queen. He picked Esther! Haman tried to trick the king to kill all the Jews! Esther was brave. She told the king,‘Haman tried to trick you to kill all the Jews! And I’m a Jew.’ The king said to kill Haman. And Esther's people were saved!"


While I'm bragging on my kids, I just have to say how proud I am of all of them, that they love the Lord and love His Word. When Paige and Shae received their first Bibles four days ago, Cy and Ally were SOOOO jealous. "How come WE didn't get a full Bible like that when WE were in first grade??" (I had to apologize for the fact that we weren't attending a Sunday School while the older two were in first grade, mainly because Wynne was a baby and it was hard enough getting to worship for one hour, let alone an hour earlier for Sunday School! I know, lame excuse.) In all fairness though, we did give Ally and Cy these really cool comic book Bibles, Ally just received a beautiful faux leather Faithgirlz Bible with snap enclosure for Easter, and we gave Cy a Bibleman magazine (including the full New Testament) for Christmas. (I should own stock in Christian Book Distributors!! I HEART CBD !!)

I remember back to receiving my first burgundy (vinyl?) Bible in Sunday School and a beautiful white leather Bible with silver-edged pages (and my name imprinted in silver) for confirmation. The latter was part of my wedding bouquet because I just loved looking at it so much. But the sad thing was, "looking at it" was about all I did when I was a kid. I never truly dug in there and read those stories from cover to cover, putting together God's plan for us until I started teaching Kids Club and Sunday School over the past decade or so. I'm so thankful that my kids have a love for God's Word and we have a chance to talk about it and try to apply it to our day-to-day lives. He's not just for Sunday anymore! Granted, our kids are no angels and do their share of eye-rolling when I remind them when they're not following His Word...but the seed is being planted by lots of young parents at our church and in our community who model His love and His Word in their daily actions. I am really grateful to be a part of that and to see how He is working in our kids!

How can a young man keep his way pure?
By living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you. --Psalm 119: 9-11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home