Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Playing Hookie

Last week Mark took Ally and Cy out of school to see their first major league baseball game.

I think I was 8 or 9 when my sister and her husband took us youngest three girls to a Brewer game. It was an away game at the Minneapolis Metrodome, and it was the biggest place I'd ever been. I remember feeling engulfed by everything and trying hard to see the little ants on the field below (the Brewers and the Twins). It's a neat experience, seeing a professional sporting event, and I'm glad my kids had a chance to go with their dad!

When I was a kid, the Brewers' home field was County Stadium. My first trip there was the summer I graduated from high school and was just starting to date Mark. We went with my older brothers, wives, sisters, and boyfriends. It was pretty fun except for some dysfunctional family arguments that occurred over the weekend (I remember thinking, if Mark isn't scared away by all of this, I'm a lucky girl!!). Anyway, County Stadium has now given way to Miller Park, dome and all.

I haven't personally been there, but is that place HUGE or what?!

Back in the day, Bernie Brewer slid into a mug of beer on every Brewer home run. Now I guess he slides down this huge thing into a ?

Back in the day, we were just happy to be at the ballpark. Now of course, there are kid zones and plenty of photo opps!


Back in the day, they had a huge scoreboard with cute little cartoons made by different lights. Now there is a jumbo-tron television screen. Complete with cute kid in the background!!

This is Prince Fielder, the only Brewer player I can name. Sorry Dad, I don't follow the Brewers as closely as I used to! (but I hear these days I'm not missing much!)

Unfortunately, there were no Bernie Brewer slidings or Brewer victories for the day. But there were still two perfectly happy kids!


And they had a bonus of seeing their cousin Kaleb warm up for the UW-Milwaukee Panthers after the Brewer game! I love this southpaw pitch.

Coincidentally, cousin Claire and her parents were also at the park that day, celebrating Claire's golden 12th birthday!

Mark doesn't take off from work very often. This one was worth it!


Oh, how sweet the light of day,
And how wonderful to live in the sunshine!
Even if you live a long time, don't take a single day for granted.
Take delight in each light-filled hour--Ecclesiastes 11:7-8, The Message

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home