Thursday, May 13, 2010

Wonderful Words

There's a hymn we sing on occasion at church that goes like this:

Sing them over again to me, wonderful words of life,
Let me more of their beauty see, wonderful words of life;
Words of life and beauty teach me faith and duty.

Refrain

Beautiful words, wonderful words, wonderful words of life,
Beautiful words, wonderful words, wonderful words of life.

Christ, the blessèd One, gives to all wonderful words of life;
Sinner, list to the loving call, wonderful words of life;
All so freely given, wooing us to heaven.

Refrain

Sweetly echo the Gospel call, wonderful words of life;
Offer pardon and peace to all, wonderful words of life;
Jesus, only Savior, sanctify us forever.


Thank you to Philip Bliss for writing that back in 1874. (and thanks to the internet for bringing all of those words back to me so quickly!) As we celebrated Mother's Day on Sunday, I couldn't help but think back to the "beautiful words, wonderful words" that my daughter wrote a few months ago when the kids were playing School.


Maybe it's because I like reading and love writing...but isn't it amazing, the power that words have on us? The words that Paige wrote above mean so much to me, I just had to take a picture so it would last longer. The first thing that strikes me about these "teacher notes" is how positive and complimentary they are. Who doesn't like to be complimented once in a while? "I like how you like sports." "I like how you play and act." Back in the 90s when I was teaching, I had a 2-for-1 policy: 2 positives for every one negative. Meaning, for every negative thing that came out of your mouth, you had to try and come up with 2 positive things to say. It was quite the challenge...for the teacher as well as the students!

But the last sentence that "Ms. Siegert" writes to both girls is "I think your going to be a good Mom." That sentence means more to me than I can begin to describe. (But being word-loving, you know that I will try!!) For 4- and 7-year-old little girls, being a Mom is the ultimate destination, the job you grow up to be. (And to be a "good Mom" is the ultimate compliment!!) It's innate. Don't tell me that gender roles can be permanently changed by our environment or upbringing. In the battle of Nature vs. Nurture, Nature wins out every time. To me, it's just another example of God and how He designed everyone and everything, and that no matter how much we mess up the "Nurture" part--God's call on us is in-born and always there. He will fill in the blanks, if we call upon His name and His wonderful words of life!

Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."--John 6:68

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home