Monday, February 27, 2012

On the Mound

Our trip was full of walking.  Walking for ? miles at the mall, then walking 4 blocks from our downtown hotel room to the Metrodome in the coldness of a February Friday night.  But it was totally worth it because our nephew/cousin Kaleb got in to pitch the 8th inning for his college team that night!
 I know about as much about baseball as I do basketball, so let me keep it brief and just say a couple of things: 1) he's a set-up guy (pitching in close situations for his team, after a starter and before a closer); 2) he throws a submarine pitch (which is kind of a side-armed approach and very hard to bat against); and 3) he is a Division 1 scholarship athlete of whom we are very proud!! 

All of the kids got a foul ball that night, Ally's being one hit against Kaleb which we had him sign...and it was just very cool to see him pitch at this level.  We hope you have a great season and can pitch your way into the minors or majors, Kaleb!  As I got down by 1st baseman to watch him close-up, I couldn't help but remember how when this kid was my kid's age, he always had a ball in his hand.  Any sport, any size opponent, didn't matter to him.  The Engelke campout softball games could get pretty wild, but none of the grown-up batters held back against this kid.  And I guess it paid off ;)
This is my command- be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord, your God, is with you wherever you go.--Joshua 1:9

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home