Wednesday, July 13, 2011

That 70s Show, Engelke Edition

This post is for the summer school class I'm teaching tomorrow, the finale of our study of the History of American Girl Dolls!   Tomorrow is "Julie Day", and Julie grew up in the 70s.  I just wanted to show the students in my class the decor and dress of the 1970s.  This is a good picture of the golds and avacado greens that were in our living room.  The wallpaper was classic.  And who could forget velvet paintings?  That is actually a very pretty velvet painting above the couch.  You're probably wondering why my brother is feeding a raccoon in the living room.  That's Clyde, our pet raccoon (Brian & my other brothers found Clyde and his sister Bonnie abandoned as babies, so they fed them milk in bottles, raised them and turned them loose in the woods upon maturity.  Our family's twist on the Old Yeller story, I guess.
This is classic 70s fashion.   Girls in very short dresses, guys in plaid blazers or solid sport coats with polyester pants.  My dad rocked the white bow tie.  We little girls had the perfect hair for the 70s, stick straight.  The only thing missing were the Farrah Fawcett feathered sides, which we worked hard to perfect in the 80s. (I could never quite master the feather; my hair was/is/ever will be STRAAAAAAAAight. sigh.) Other classic 70s touches:  boys' hair combed down and getting rather long (nowadays it's much longer and more annoying, in my opinion), dark glasses, and shirt collars out to the next county!


Mom & Dad's 25th Anniversary, 1975
Last but not least, the 70s turtlenecks. Can you say BANGS?!!


Amy, Julie & Marla in 1974

I am having so much fun remembering what it was like back then.  I was pretty young, but I do remember a lot of the music, clothes, toys, food, and television shows that gave identity to that decade.  It's so "groovy" how people post old commercials, TV clips, and slideshows on Youtube.  I wish we could go back and visit the 70s sometimes!
What I mean, brothers and sisters, is that the time is short...For this world in its present form is passing away.  1 Corinthians 7: 29 & 31

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home