Monday, July 4, 2011

Shake Hands and Say "Yes"!

No, I'm not teaching my dog a new trick!

Mark says I've beaten the Amana trip to "a dead horse" on the blog, and he's probably right.  But I have to share one last post...I've been saving a few pics from our June trip for this time.  You see, 17 years ago on this day (ironically called Independence Day!), Mark asked me to marry him.  He knew that the 4th of July was my favorite holiday at the time, and he waited till the fireworks were crackling in the night sky to pop the question.  We were married on 4th of July weekend the next year (July 1st, to be exact), and so here we are. 

So when I saw the wedding display in the Amana Heritage Museum, I just couldn't resist.

Pretty simple, huh? Stand at the table, shake hands, say "yes" and you're hitched.  I was surprised that their marriage age wasn't younger, actually.  I found this impressive:
21 for girls, 24 for boys.  That's older than I thought it would be (especially for the girls).  How would you like to have Paul's thoughts "to remain single is better" shared at your wedding?!  I guess the Amanians were just very careful people ;)

They certainly weren't into showing off.  Check out this wedding gown!
I hope this was a fall or winter wedding.  Many have heard me complain about the strapless hoochie-mama dresses that brides have been wearing for over a decade now, but I have to say - if I had to choose between the unfinished look of today's dress and this black-n-brown beauty, I'd have to go with the modern gown.   Somehow the Amana look is a little too somber and restrictive even for my conservative taste!

The girls look pretty cute in the traditional work-wear, though, don't they?  While we're on the subject of weddings, hurry up Uncle Joey and find a girl to settle down with, because these flower girls are still a-waitin!! ;)
Back to my own betrothed, we had a great time going out to eat, shopping at Aldi's (you won't laugh if you're married with children) and catching a movie the other night.  We saw Larry Crowne and found it enjoyable, especially the part where we had the bucket of popcorn and pop all to ourselves!!  No offense, kids, we just hadn't been to the movies without you in -- forever.  Seriously, it was the first time we'd seen a box office flick since having children.  It was a different treat!

Happy Anniversary, Mark! I'm glad we shook hands and said "yes" ;)


And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.--Colossians 3:14

2 Comments:

Blogger Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!!

Your post made me giggle! I can't imagine wearing a wedding dress like that. I do agree with you on most modern dresses but that one is a little too conservative! I'm glad you went shopping at Aldi and went to a movie AND got to eat all the popcorn. LOL! I'd look forward to that too!!!! :-)

July 4, 2011 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger Amy Siegert said...

It was a definite treat! Happy Belated Anniversary to you! Let us know when you want to take a date night without your kids, too!

July 5, 2011 at 5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home