Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Wishes for All!

Happy Valentine's Day!
One of the simplest and prettiest of holidays...forget all the commercialized pink and red rows at Walmart...just have fun with scraps around the house!

We made cards a few weeks ago on a snow day, adding our own personal flair to the ideas in Family Fun magazine. There's a reason why I keep (hoard) broken-up decks of cards and construction paper scraps!!

Paige's "You're a card" Valentines turned out clever, don't you think?

Shae and I accordion-folded lots of strips of paper for her Valentine pals!

We used heavier scrapbook paper for Wynne's finger puppets...

"Valentine, you make my heart dance!"

Cy cut up old Sports Illustrated & ESPN magazines for his Valentines. He put some thought into them, making a point of picking out sports teams & players that each of his classmates like.

On the Sunday closest to Valentine's Day, our Sunday School families travel to a nearby nursing home to share homemade Valentines and Christian songs with the residents. Each child introduced themself and shared a Bible verse on love (the younger children with help from their parents).

It is a blessing for us to share God's love with the senior citizens, who are very appreciative and sometimes sing along!

We've all heard "God is Love", but sometimes I forget what LOVE really is. It is more than a feeling. It is more than an action. It is a connection to our Creator, who hardwired us to feel connected to Him and to each other. Sometimes things happen that cut into those connections, but God is always there, waiting for us to return to Him and to point others to Him. God's love is unconditional and unchanging, steadfast. Even when circumstances are tough, God promises to be there and pull us through them in some way or another. His Son died on a cross to keep us connected to Him.

As a parent, I feel a glimpse of that unconditional love for my kids, but only just a glimpse. I falter a LOT. I get tired and inpatient and I snap at my kids (and hubby), and in those times I am not showing God's love. It is something I have to work on each and every day. Valentine's Day is a little reminder to me of the Love that transcends time and circumstances...the Love that can only be found in our Lord. I wish that Love for you on this day!

Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. --1 John 4:8

2 Comments:

Blogger Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

I really loved the creativity you all put into those Valentine's day cards! I always love homemade Valentine's day cards- so much thought and care goes into creating them. I adore the ones your kids made. Especially the ones Wynne made!

Happy (belated) Valentine's Day!

February 15, 2011 at 5:20 AM  
Blogger Amy Siegert said...

We enjoyed your kids' cards, too! It means more when the kids take the time to make them. :)

February 15, 2011 at 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home