Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Upcycled Fashions

Last month the girls and I went shopping for wedding outfits.  We were working around a pretty black dress that Shae wore, and we built the other girls' outfits around that.  Ally had a dress closely resembling Shae's, but she chose to wear a different black top and skirt that were given to her by another friend.  Yes, we are the House of Hand-me-downs and proud of it!!  When we saw the white dress on e-bay, I just knew we had to get it for Paige.  It was a few sizes too big, but all I had to do was shorten the shoulder straps.  So the black dress was free and the white dress was $12.00 total (including shipping).  Plus the ribbon which I picked up at Goodwill for 69 cents a spool, so add $1.38 to that. 

Wynne wanted to wear something of similar fabric and design, so we set about looking for the perfect dress.  I wasn't willing to go online and spend $40-50 for a brand new dress (the designer is Amy Byer), so we were limited in that regard.  One day we were at the Platteville Thrift Shop and my eyes fell upon this tube top in the juniors department.  Could I make it work, with my limited sewing skills?
I gave it a shot, and I think it turned out pretty sweet!  I cut it at the side seam, took it in, and added some black ribbon shoulder straps.  Total cost = $1.25.
The triangular hem was a cut off on one side, so her skirt went down on just one side, but the lacy overlay gave it a Bohemian feel.  Go with it, friends.  Just go with it!
I scored three black t-shirts at the Bargain Nook in Platteville for 25 cents each, so I wore one under a top I bought at the thrift shop, while I turned the other 2 into shrugs for the twins.  (You didn't think I was going to let them go bare-shouldered in September, did you!!)  I found an easy pattern somewhere online (look up t-shirt shrugs) and threaded ribbon through them.  Finding a black t-shirt for Wynne was a little tougher (smaller size), as I scoured 4 different thrift shops and finally caved and bought a new shirt at Target...however, it was on clearance for $2.25 so I guess I can live with that.  (It's just hard to justify cutting up a brand new shirt!  But the shrugs turned out so cute, I think!!)  Total cost of 3 girls' shrugs = $2.75.  I found a wonderful swingy black skirt at the thrift shop, too...so my outfit total was $2.75 as well. 

I was proud of the fact that Cy wore his pink shirt to "go" with my colors...I was hoping we'd all fit in the silver/black/pink/burgundy color scheme, but Mark and Ally had other ideas.  Everyone looked really snazzy and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.   If I had a decent head of hair this could be our Christmas family picture!! (Actually, we are hoping to put black long-sleeved shirts under the girls' dresses...or throw on black or white cardigan sweaters...for Christmas.)
How To Dress Four Girls for $20.13, the new e-book coming your way from AJS Publishing;)

Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” --Revelation 21:5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home