Monday, October 11, 2010

Girls Day Out

Ally is turning twelve this week, and one thing she's wanted to do is go shopping in Galena. The craft fair was this past weekend, so it was perfect timing for a girls' day out! My mom, sister, niece (also 12), and sister-in-law joined us on Saturday afternoon for the Galena Country Fair. (Sorry we missed my mother-in-law, sister-in-law, niece and nephew who got there before we did!)

It was HOT, over 80 degrees out! This little guy didn't seem to mind, though.

I hadn't been to this fair in over a decade, and it was much bigger than before. The crowds were huge, and the vendors were a-plenty. The craftsmanship on display was terrific! I admired these huge onyx and marble pedestals (and wondered, how in the heck did they carry these things up that hill at Grant Park?!). To the right you can see just a few examples of the many carved-out gourds on hand this weekend.

Everybody and his brother had their dog with them. This little guy reminded us so much of our Mickey, I just had to take a picture. (You'll see more on this in a future post!)

One of the mercifully shaded spots at the park. Kind of felt sorry for the hot chocolate vendors!

This picture is for Mark, the Bears fan. Quirky grass guys!

Ally and Claire loved the Picadilly Boutique. This young lady sewed appliques onto children's clothing, in addition to making all kinds of adorable accessories like this headband, wand, and tutu. This trio (not including the shirt and leggings) sold for $36...not a bad profit from a bunch of tulle! But how cute is this?! I want one of these outfits. If it could make me look cuter, I would totally wear this for Halloween ;) Seriously though, I would have snatched 4 of these up for my girls if it wouldn't set me back a gross$.

Grandma bought Ally a cute maroon headband and this magnetic photo holder with the cutest stone magnets. Isn't it so cute? Cute cute cute cute CUTE I can't stop saying cute!! Get me a thesaurus!!

Even though I am not a huge craft fan, this fair has something for everyone. Including anything in a jar from Irish Hollow. Their lemon curd is to die for, and we snatched up a pint of their raspberry conserves. Add the great music, great gift ideas, and free shuttle bus to the park, and you've got yourself a nice little Saturday. (Did I just quote Will Ferrell in "Old School"?) Thanks for the day out, girls! (And more importantly, thanks to Uncle Mike for watching the other kids!!!)


Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.--1 Thessalonians 5:18

1 Comments:

Blogger Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

We somehow missed seeing you there! It looks like you had fun! It was SO HOT!

I really love that fair...and the caramel apples! Yum!
(lol...I didn't even see hot chocolate. I can't imagine who would want hot chocolate on a hot, hot day!)

October 11, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home