Thursday, February 12, 2009

100 Day Party

Today is actually the 99th day of school for my little kindergarteners, but they're having their 100th Day Party today because tomorrow is their Valentine's Day party. (Speaking from my past life as a classroom teacher, you can't have 2 parties in one day with 5-year-olds...unless you're bonko.)

So Paige got to try out her new chef's hat, apron, cookie cutters, and cookbook which were a Christmas gift from her godmother (thanks Aunt Debby!). We used the recipe for Fortune Cookies and made "100 Day Fortune Cookies".


I had Shae and Paige tell me things they liked about school, and I wrote them on slips of paper. (Things like, "I love getting books at the library" "Recess is fun" "We sing songs and do a dancy-dance to clean up" "Our teacher is the BEST" "We get to chew gum" (Okay, I just threw that last one in there to see if you were really paying attention.) The recipe was pretty simple because it used ready-made pie crust and cornstarch...I've never used cornstarch to roll out cookies before, but hey it worked pretty slick! (And it makes a pretty nice blush too, don't you think?)

I was wondering when I would use this rubber pastry brush I got for my birthday...

The cookies were supposed to take 20-25 minutes, but I checked them after 10 and they were about done (we'll say 15 minutes total; I'm such a stickler aren't I). Mid-way through baking, I noticed that sprinkles weren't the prettiest things melted, so I re-wet the cookies and sprinkled them with colored sugar. (The recipe called for colored sugar, but we thought we'd be creative and colorful and use colored sprinkles. It turns out that colored sprinkles melt into messy blobs, so FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS in this case. I know--sometimes you have to conform. Sigh.)
They turned out pretty cute, and Paige was especially proud. The best part is they are not too sweet, so they will make a nice snack for school.


Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully, and shout for joy. --Psalm 33:3

1 Comments:

Blogger Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Woo Hoo!

Those cookies look AWESOME! The twins are ever soooo cute!

(oh...I'm a slacker mom too...I made the lollipop flowers when I should have been to do one of the many chores around here... but instead I played with my scrapbooking materials. :)

February 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home