Saturday, January 31, 2009

On Eagle's Wings

I wish I had a picture to share with you, but we'll just have to settle for the story because I didn't have my camera with me. The other day Wynne and I were driving home from grocery shopping and noticed a very large bird standing by the opposite side of the road. As I drove past, I realized it was a bald eagle! He was as tall as the mailbox he was standing next to, and I couldn't believe how he was just standing by the highway. There were crows and other large birds around (perhaps a female eagle and some hawks), but no one compared to this bird. He was right off of the Presidential seal or something--a bright white head, white tail feathers, and dark brown/black body. I slowed and pulled to the shoulder, waited for the traffic to pass, and slowly backed up to be parallel to the bird.
It was an awesome sight. I didn't get Wynne out of her car seat because the eagle flew up into a nearby oak tree. We still had a pretty good view of him, though. Wow, you should have seen the wing span on him! Cars drove by and drivers gave me strange looks, but there I was with my window rolled down in freezing weather, staring at one of the most awesome creatures I've ever seen. This isn't the first time I'd seen a bald eagle, but it was the closest I've ever been to one, and he was by far the largest one I'd ever seen. He looked back at me for a long time, and Wynne said "Bye eagle!" as we pulled away about 5 minutes later.
Time stood still in those 5 minutes. The worries of the world seemed to fade away as I watched the eagle. I felt a strong sense of God's power and majesty that afternoon, and my devotion the next day really drove it home.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
--Isaiah 40:31

1 Comments:

Blogger Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

They are big and majestic birds! I'm glad that we get to see them here as we enjoyed watching them in Alaska as well.

February 1, 2009 at 6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home