Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Moment

Last year my husband gave me a beautiful plaque that says, "Enjoy this moment...for this moment is your life." It is up on our dining room wall, and I look at it every day to try and remind myself to do what it says. Because sometimes I just get fed up in "this moment"...this moment of household drudgery....laundry...cleaning...meal preparation...dishes...etc.

This is what I do about 78% of the day:


Okay, maybe not 78% of the day, but it feels like it. (I had no idea that Mark was taking this picture - he was just testing to see if our new rechargeable batteries were working.) I should have taken a picture of my awesome husband cleaning the kitchen/dining room floor. He has some Mad Swiffer Skills. We grump and fume about cleaning up after supper, when we have five able-bodied children (two of them 8 and 10) who could do what we are doing. But we like having the water in the SINK (not on the floor) and getting the floor cleaned without someone getting a broom stick to their head. We delegate the chores of cleaning off the table, feeding the scraps to the dog, and putting things back in the fridge to the kids. Plus, the older kids play and keep the younger kids occupied, which is worth a lot in my book.

"Enjoy this moment, for this moment is your life." I have a great partner who lives that out every day. After helping me clean the floors/counters/tabletop, this is the kind of thing Mark does:


Now THAT'S enjoying the moment!

And shouldn't I be thankful...for the blessing of children and family to eat at my table? for a table to eat on? for a kitchen/dining room? for a sink with running water? for clothes to wash and a house to clean?


And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. --Colossians 3:17

1 Comments:

Blogger Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Amy, I really LOVED this post! It is easy to become overwhelmed with all the chores we need/should do.
Thanks for the great reminder of enjoying the moment! I needed that!
(funny photos too!) :)

February 11, 2009 at 10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home