Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas Eve

It is always very special for me to worship in my home church on Christmas Eve.  Dad made the processional cross with inlaid brass, and since this was his childhood church, I feel our family intertwined with it.  I feel close to Dad in this building.  Isn't the blue poinsettia especially beautiful?
 We got to the worship service EARLY!  That's a new development :)
 It is a tradition to gather at my parents' house after Christmas Eve worship, and this year was no different.  The stockings were hung by the chimney with care...
 with hopes that Saint Nicholas soon would be there.  The grandchildren were gathered, not yet snug in their beds...while visions of ELECTRONICS and CLOTHES danced in their heads. (They're growing up too quickly!)
 An old gift re-gifted.  Last year when my folks moved into town, Dad asked me to try and get this 1946 Motorola radio/phonograph fixed.  It was something he had given Mom before they were married.  The  first antique repairman I found was a nice gentleman from Beloit; I sent pictures to him by e-mail, and we talked on the phone.  "I think I can fix it," he told me, but I never had opportunity to drive to Beloit and deliver it...until summer.  Sadly, the gentleman had died by then.  So I went back on the Internet and started looking for someone else who could fix old record players.  I was fortunate to find Steve at Paragon Music in Madison.  I had my niece deliver the phonograph, Steve took a look at it and called me up with enthusiasm in his voice.  "This is in GREAT condition for how old it is!" he told me, and he was confident that he could fix it...but it would cost some $$.  Steve has fixed hundreds of old music boxes and record players and done work with the state historical society.  I hesitated because of the cost, but then I realized--what am I waiting for?  This is something that Dad wanted me to do!  And I can't go back on a promise to him!
 So my brothers and sisters went in on the gift, and we gave it to Mom on Christmas Eve.  To hear the vinyl, the crackling of Bing Crosby singing "Silent Night" on the old record.........it gives me goosebumps just to think about it.  Dad, can you hear it?
I think Mom likes it.  I hope so, anyway.  I hope it brings back lots of good memories for her.  It certainly does for me :)

But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart.--Luke 2:19

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home