Friday, April 15, 2011

Kindness

Last week I was in the waiting room with Cy (ear appointment) when I picked up an O magazine.  I don't get to watch Oprah much (maybe 3 times a year), and I don't agree with everything she says, but she is a very generous person who surrounds herself with everyday, inspirational people.  I came across this poem called "Kindness" by Naomi Shihab Nye, and it really struck a chord with me.  Here are some excerpts that I thought were exceptionally good:

Kindness

Before you know what kindness really is
you must lose things,
feel the future dissolve in a moment
like salt in a weakened broth.
What you held in your hand,
what you counted and carefully saved,
all this must go so you know
how desolate the landscape can be
between the regions of kindness.


...Before you know kindness as the deepest thing inside,
you must know sorrow as the other deepest thing.

This is really true.  The kindest people I know are the ones who have lost something, have gone through some big heartaches.  They know what it's like to be on the other side of happiness, and they will do darn near anything to help you.

Thank you to all of you kind people!  Your sorrow has not been in vain!


I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. --John 16:33 ESV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home