Monday, April 11, 2011

We're All In This Together

Life's biggest lessons are centered around relationships.  We learn in response to how we are treated and how we see other people being treated.  I can talk to my kids till I'm blue in the face about how they should act and how their actions affect others, but it won't make any impact on them until they experience.  Until they feel.  Until I model the Golden Rule.

Little eyes look up to us.  Little ears listen to what we're saying (and not saying). 
Little hands want to do what we're doing!
Little hearts are full of love to share and praise to give! 
A wise man once said that, if we are blessed with children, it is our responsibility to raise them up "in the way he (or she) should go".  God has given us his Son, his Word, as a model to follow and a character for which to strive. 
The older I get, the less I know.  As a young parent, I thought it was my duty and honor to impart knowledge and wisdom on my children.  As a not-as-young-but-still-consider-myself-novice parent, I now know that we're all in this together.  My kids are teaching me more than I will ever teach them. 
Currently, the one on the left is teaching me lessons in humility and self-control.  The little one right next to him is teaching me all about unconditional love, while the third child is teaching me tenderness and honesty.  The girl who won't look at me is teaching me about patience and endurance, to the point where I fall to my knees and beg God for more understanding.  The last one (who came first) is teaching me about surrender and trust in Him, for these are His children, not mine.

Oh what fun we can have on a  "computer-free" day!

Yep, we're all in this thing together!

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. --Proverbs 22:6

P.S.  The big kid at the wheel teaches me devotion, spontaneity, and a whole lot more:)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jodi said...

at the risk of completely opening myself up, i want to tell you that you are one of my greatest teachers, amy. over the past couple of years that i've been "tuning in" to your blog, i've found that i'm learning about myself and my beliefs thru your postings - i truly am! your thoughts open up a part of my brain that i know exists, but can't manage to tap into for some reason...until i log on and read what you have to say. it's only then that i realize what you're posting is what i think, too. i wish we could spend some time together, talking over a cup of coffee, but i know how impossible that is with our busy lives. so, until i can bottle up your words and listen to them when i have some quiet time to reflect, i'll continue to read your musings and wonder what else you'll uncover in my heart. you're an amazing woman - keep searching :0)

April 12, 2011 at 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find this saying to be true and I really like the way you capture the kids in pictures. More than the stories you tell I like the way you tie it together with passages from the Bible. Keep up the good work!

April 12, 2011 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger Amy Siegert said...

Hey girls, thanks for your kind words of encouragement! Jodi, you do me too much justice my friend--I am honored that you think this much of what I have to say. I tend to be a much better writer than speaker/communicator. I started this blog for my kids (for them to read one day in the future) and wish that I was better at talking to them NOW in present-tense. So much of what is in my head and heart just has a hard time coming out of my mouth!
Maryellen, one day you will have more time to grab a camera, too!! If I had the patience and gentleness that you do... :)

April 12, 2011 at 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home