Thursday, July 22, 2010

Spelunking

Last week when it was unbearably hot and humid, we hid in a few caves!
Well, the first one was actually a mine, but it was cool and cavernous all the same.

Exploring the Badger Hut Mine underneath the streets of Shullsburg, Wisconsin...

This is the part where my claustrophic husband hesitated for just a bit...

It's impressive to think that men worked in these conditions MINUS THE LIGHTS. A few stick-and-tommy candles, and that's all she wrote.

On Thursday when I was off visiting with my mom and sisters, Mark took the kids just south of Dubuque to Crystal Lake Cave.

I don't have much commentary for the rest of the pictures, since I wasn't there. But I will say, "Wynne, why are wearing your Sunday School Mary Jane shoes??"
(Oh well; they were scuffed up anyway.)

I have been waiting for 2 days for my eldest to "guest post" on this cave, but she's been gone to volleyball camp and now off on errands with her dad, so I'll let you admire and imagine. She took some great pictures!






Look at that cute little stalagmite!!

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth.--Psalm 57:5

1 Comments:

Blogger Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

COOL!!!!! What neat trips! I didn't know there was a mine near Shullsburg....I guess that needs to go on our list of places to explore too!

July 25, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home