Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Fantastic Fringy Feathers of Thanks

Wynne and I haven't had a whole lot of preschool time lately, so when I stumbled upon Mom Unplugged's blog this morning, I just knew we had to get back to it. What a creative mind she is! I am not very artsy/craftsy, but once in a while I like to pretend that I am. So this week's challenge of doing some sort of project around the theme of "Thanks" was perfect. We are studying the letters "E" and "F", so I emphasized Feathers and Fringe. (fringy feathers, right?)

When I announced that we would be painting the body of the turkey, Wynne was ecstatic. I am not big on messes (Slacker Mom trying to avoid the clean-up), so paint is a real privilege. Wynne knew that the turkey's body would most likely be brown (or as she calls it, "black"). She went to work on the back of a paper plate right away.

While she was painting, I asked Wynne what she was thankful for. Immediate responses were God and "my best friend" followed by six little girls that she loves to play with at various settings in her life (home, church, family gatherings, etc.). She also mentioned her family (with a little prodding), our dog, and her beloved blankie. I cut out feathers and wrote down her responses. Wynne stopped painting once to point out "The water is black, Mom!" (and this time, she was right on--it was black, not brown!) and "I really don't like flies". (Might as well narrow it down from what we're NOT thankful for, right?)
Next step: cutting the "fringe" on the feathers. This is no easy task for a 3-year-old whose mother doesn't let her use scissors very often. I had to remind Wynne that her thumb should stay up. She showed great concentration and remembered to "hold her mouth right".

"Open...close....open....close..."

Next: staple the feathers onto the body. Wynne was quick to point out, "We need to make feet, Mom!"

The final product. Wa-la!

Or should I say, "Gobble-gobble"?

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.--Colossians 3:17

1 Comments:

Blogger Rana said...

I like your idea. How cute!

November 25, 2009 at 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home