Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Project Time!

It's funny how the word "project" means different things to different people. For my husband, it is a positive word connotating images of physical labor, something hands-on, usually involving barnboard. Mark is always looking for a project, it seems. He finishes tearing down the kitchen and building a two-story addition, only to be sad and bored after about 3 weeks of "nothing to do". Our whole house is full of Projects-- barnboard siding, ceiling beams, hand-fashioned furniture, and the like. It is all very awesome and well-built and unique, but sometimes it wears on me because A) it's a creative outlet for HIM, not me; my job is to keep the kids out of the way and drop everything I'm doing to run and help him from time to time; and B) it always costs WAAYYY more than projected.

So when Mark put the Menards Big Card in an envelope in the kitchen cabinet last month, I had to chuckle to myself and wonder how long the reserve would last. After all, it's only football season with school starting less than two weeks from now...it's not BUSY enough for the man. No, it's time to start another Project. Something that's been on his mind for over two years now: mudroom lockers for each person in this family. Something like this:

As amazing and handy as they would be, the Naysayer (as I'm so affectionately named by said Project Man) has to point out that we cannot afford wooden lockers at this time. It goes something like this:

PROJECT MAN. Wouldn't these be sweet?
NAYSAYER. Yes, honey, they would be. Too bad we don't have any money for that right now.
PROJECT MAN. But we NEED these. I've been wanting to make these for years now (while surfing for more locker samples)...Hey, do you like this one better? Or this?
NAYSAYER (walking away to fold more clothes). They're all nice.
PROJECT MAN. You didn't even see them!
NAYSAYER. I saw them yesterday. Do you really think you have time to start this right now?
PROJECT MAN. I need something to take my mind off of football.
NAYSAYER. But you will just run yourself ragged. Next week you'll be gone to inservice, and then school starts. Besides, we just can't afford them right now.
PROJECT MAN. You're such a naysayer.
NAYSAYER. That's my job.
PROJECT MAN (still surfing). Hey what do you think of this design? But it doesn't have a bench. We gotta have a bench for every kid.
NAYSAYER. I agree.
PROJECT MAN. So I can make them then??
NAYSAYER. I didn't say that. Can I get back to the laundry?
PROJECT MAN. You don't care.
NAYSAYER. Yes, I do. I'd LOVE to have lockers in there, but it's just not a good time.
PROJECT MAN. That's what you always say. Nothing would ever get done around here if we waited for it to be a "good time".
NAYSAYER. Whatever.

In all fairness and homage to Project Man, the Projects DO get finished, and usually ahead of schedule. He's great about that, and I am a lucky girl. (Just ask the other Sunday School moms! ;) It's a losing battle for the Naysayer.
--
Say "project" to the kids, and a squeal of glee comes forward. Slacker Mom stifles her desire to keep the house semi-clean and turns the children loose on their creative adventures. Today we made Finger Paint from a recipe I had clipped from a Family Connections newsletter a few years ago. I have to admit, it turned out pretty good.

FINGER PAINT (Washable)
2 c. flour
2 tsp. salt
4 1/2 c. water, divided
food coloring
Mix the flour and the salt. Add 2 1/2 cups of cold water. Whisk until smooth. Gradually add this mixture to 2 cups of boiling water. Boil until smooth and thick. Add food coloring, then stir until smooth.


The "big kids" were too busy watching Disney Channel to join us. They missed out on the gooey, colorful fun!

I thought Shae drew a great Spaniel for a 6-year-old.



And Paige made a fantastic self-portrait!



One thing to note if you're doing this project, be sure to have a few wet towels ready for sticky hands! You don't want to mix colors, after all.

This is Mom's attempt at drawing Dora and Boots. Swiper's not bad, but Dora and Boots look hideous. Thank goodness Wynne colored over most of the fiasco!

The main thing is that everybody had a lot of fun this afternoon, and we had plenty of finger paint left over for another time. Now that's MY kind of Project!

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but harsh words stir up anger.--Proverbs 5:1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home