Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Happy Belated Prom-i-versary!

Twenty-four years ago yesterday, the post-hole digger took me to our junior prom.  It was our first date.  Senior prom was our second date. 
I'm usually good about remembering these things on the date/anniversary.  I thought about it the day before, but I forgot all about it yesterday.  I was out gallavanting around, picking up preschool kids,  archery equipment, gate hangers, and milk.  Don't know why I didn't remember.

Here we are, all these years later, and my nieces are in the midst of their own junior proms.  I get all excited for them.  I know it's silly, but girls like this kind of stuff.  They dream about a dashing young man arriving to pick them up, take them out to eat at a fancy restaurant, and dance every dance with them.  It doesn't always happen exactly like that, but it's part of the dream.  (Girls, don't deny it!  Check out "Captivating" by Staci Eldridge or "What Are You Waiting For?" by Dannah Gresh if you don't believe me.) 

We didn't dance much, I messed up my dress, and I bowled a dismal 38 at post-prom....but a lot of the dream came true.  And I smile inside at this picture of a man who leads his kids by example, taking the time to work and play with them.  I hope and pray that our girls are treated to the dream, and that our young man (who is now strong enough to lift heavy boards and use the power drill) will treat a young lady as well as his father did.

Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. --Romans 12:10

2 Comments:

Blogger Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Wow! I haven't thought about proms in a VERY LONG time! LOL! Definitely a blast from the past.

May 3, 2011 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger Amy Siegert said...

Prom can bring a very negative emotions for some people - but yeah, definitely something that sticks in your memory!

May 3, 2011 at 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home