Wednesday, March 23, 2011

When You Least Expect It

God is there!

My friend Mary and I lead a middle school youth group. The other night we were out on a scavenger hunt, and the kids were supposed to take pictures of certain things, like a cross-shape NOT found on or near a church. My group took a picture of the Chevy grill on our Suburban, which was most clever. But then a few minutes later I looked up in the sky and there it was!
*
As with all of my Christian education pursuits, I spend a great deal of time in prayer, Bible research and preparation for our youth group meetings. I want to make God's Word relevant and fun for the kids. I want them to seek Him and want to be like Him in all their ways! Funny thing is, it's all in God's hands. Sure, the Bible lesson and scavenger hunt were fun and hopefully planted a few seeds about God's grace...but it's not up to me & my planning. The Holy Spirit takes over and works through our relationship-building and in our "down time"...which is why probably the most favorite part of our meetings at the Hawes home is when the kids go out to play basketball! God works there, too. Probably more than when I plan for Him to work.

A few months back, I was a little worried about Wynne's academic progress. I know that sounds silly, talking about a 4-year-old's academic progress, but compared to some of the other kids, it seemed like Wynne was a little behind on her letter recognition and formation. As my dad used to tell me, "If you're going to worry, why pray? and if you're going to pray, why worry?" So now I have evidence that worry does no good at all. After putting the kids to bed the other night, I found this.

God works in His own time, in His own way. Once again, I am put to shame at my lack of faith. My baby can write almost every letter of the alphabet now, and she even puts the right number of "little lines" on her E's now (not 4, but 3). I checked with Mark--nobody prodded her to write her name and my name. I remember putting clothes away and Wynne sitting on my bed, talking about how she was writing my name with hers. At the time, I wasn't listening and observing her...and then later, to my delight and wonder I see the output of her little brain. She asked me a few days prior how to spell my name, and here it was...she remembered!

Father really does know best.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.--Philippians 4:6-7

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jodi said...

You always manage to bring tears to my eyes with your "observations" from life. You are such a talented, loving, amazing woman, Amy...I'm blessed to know (and learn from)you!

Jodi

March 23, 2011 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger Amy Siegert said...

Right back at you, Jodi! You are an encourager and possess more patience and strength than I have in my right pinkie finger.

Make the trek over Potosi-way soon!

March 24, 2011 at 5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home