Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Stroll and a Roll

We had a half-day of school last Friday, and Mark was gone to the state coaching clinic. Since I had to run an errand in Dubuque, I took the kids to the arboretum. I'd never been there, and it was a nice little excursion. The kids especially enjoyed the koi fish and this little "elf house" as they called it!

After a stroll through the botanical gardens, we took a quick tour of the gift shop and had the kids' picture taken with Mr. Snuffleupagus.

On our way home we stopped at the big park in Dickeyville. In between swing pushes, ziplining, and jungle gym climbing, I managed to snap a few shots. These are some of my favorites.








This park has a massive hill. Cy got us going with, "Let's roll down this hill, guys!" I took some video and laughed my butt off as my offspring went tumbling down the slope.

Good thing we hadn't eaten for about 4 hours!

I told the kids about my childhood hill-rolling days, way back in the 70s. Mom would stuff Marla, Julie, and me into these huge, puffy snowmobile suits at Brian's football games. (Guess I know where I get my compulsion to over-dress my kids from!) I don't remember much about the football games, but I remember the swish-swish of the suits and the manic, cyclic motion of rolling down the hill at Belmont High School. It all came back to me on Friday afternoon as I took my own roll. Quickly I remembered to
a) Close my eyes, and
b) Tuck my arms in.
I was on a roll -- literally -- going for the record in speed and straightness...until I ran into Paige. Fortunately there were no head collisions or tears. Just lots of giggles.
Wynne got about halfway down the hill and didn't vomit, which was a major accomplishment.

Paige and Shae kept turning sideways on the hill, and Cy was constantly critiquing his sisters' rolling ability (or lack thereof).

Ever the athlete, Ally worked on her technique and got up some pretty good speed.

But it was definitely Cyrus who earned the gold medal in hill rolling that day, as he put his money where his mouth is and showed us all how it is done.

Note the determination and gritty effort. If only I could see that look doing chores or homework!

If practice makes perfect, then Cy earned an 11 out of 10. I think this was his 7th or 8th roll. Keep in mind, the kid weighs 100 pounds already and has a lot of momentum! (Homeschoolers would be proud of me; we talked about inertia and potential energy!)

Like a typical boy, Cy milks every last inch out of his roll...anything to get to the bottom of the hill.

And again, like a typical boy, he stumbled dizzily up the hill for more.


Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him.--James 1:12

1 Comments:

Blogger Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Those are fantastic photos of the kids having fun! I love the arboretum (haven't been in a long time). Where is that park in Dickeyville? I didn't realize there was one. Love that hill!

March 30, 2010 at 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home