Wednesday, July 1, 2009

There Goes My Hero

I'm not a big Foo Fighters fan, but I find myself singing the chorus to this song in my head whenever I see you, Mark.

From the first time I laid eyes on you in 1984, the "new kid" at our school, wavy hair and pinstripe jeans, I knew that I wanted to be a part of your life. And I wanted you to be a part of mine. When most high school boys were occupied with joking around or picking on somebody, you were pushing a wheelchair-bound girl down the hall to her next class. When most kids were rushing out to Pizza Hut after a football game, win or lose, you were the last player out of the lockerroom, probably replaying every down, picturing how you could do better next week. I was the girl who watched and admired from afar, trying not to be a stalker, trying to figure you out. What made you so true, so genuine and good.

You don't know how many times I dreamed of this day, when you and I would be married, "grown up", and raising a family. I look at you with our kids and I almost have to pinch myself because I don't deserve my dreams to be coming true, even better than I expected!

Four years of anticipating...seven years of dating...fourteen years of marriage...I haven't quite figured you out yet, but I suppose that's part of the fun. (And part of the aggravation sometimes!) I thank God every day to be married to a man who is growing in God's grace and wisdom, loving and protecting me and our children. I pray that I may grow more fruits like patience, self-control, and gentleness. I look forward to this day every year because it is the one time I KNOW that we will get a date night. A time for us to be together without kids, to enjoy each other's company, reminisce and dream of the future. When marriages around us are falling apart, I thank God for what we have and I don't take a single minute of it for granted. He put us together, and I pray that He keeps us together to do big things for Him. As long as we keep our eyes on Him, we will be just fine. The bills will pile up, the kids will scream and fight, and society will uphold lifestyles that aren't what He intended...but our love and our marriage will sustain with His guidance. Something I read the other day made me realize that God's first creation, besides the world and organisms, was the institution of marriage (Adam and Eve). Marriage was around before children, so it's important to take care of your marriage so that the children can thrive, too!

So with that, I say Happy Anniversary, honey. I love you so much!

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior...Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her."--Ephesians 5:21-23, 25

2 Comments:

Blogger Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!!

You knew each other since 1984????? Wow!!!

Hope you have an awesome anniversary! Happy 14th!

July 1, 2009 at 12:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow...what a great post..and blog!! I look forward to perusing...at my..ummm..well not leisure. Sometime..Congrats!!

July 1, 2009 at 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home