Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Aunts, Uncles, Nieces & Nephews

Can you tell I'm going for the most-posts-in-one-day record?
Or maybe it's just make-up-for-a-busy-month-low-posting-November!
Or a little bit of both!

At any rate, there's something special about the bond between aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews. I became an aunt at age 9, and I remember being SOOOOOOOO excited to see my little nieces at holiday time and birthdays. Being the youngest of a big family will bring that kind of dynamic! We have 7 nieces and nephews on my husband's side (which is young and growing) and 27 (plus one on the way, we just found out!) on my side.

Being an aunt (or uncle) gives you the chance to snuggle with babies, then give them back without the 24-hour, non-sleep responsibility. Snuggles plus sleep, win-win!!

Sometimes you get the honor of being a godparent. Here's my cute little goddaughter Mady, two years old and talking up a storm!

There is a special bond between godparents and their godchildren. Wynne calls Aunt Tammie her Fairy Godmother!

Another thing I like about being an aunt is that, even as my own kids get older, I still get to try out my beginner sewing skills on my little (too-young-to-be-fussy) nieces and nephews. Elsie (2) and Addie (1) are the perfect models!

The downside to being the youngest in a big family is that, sadly, only a handful of my own aunts and uncles are still living. I just thought of this: I only have 3 aunts and 2 uncles left walking this earth! That may seem like a lot, but then consider that I have 36 aunts and uncles to begin with. Time flies, people die, and we don't spend enough time with any of them.
On the flip-side, my husband is the oldest in his family, and so his aunts and uncles are not much older than my brothers & sisters. I can't call this guy "Uncle Joe" because he's more like an older brother to me...including the teasing!

One of the best parts of being an aunt and uncle is the ability to get the kids all sugared up (like Uncle Ken and his awesome ice cream!!)...

...or all wound up (like Uncle Brian)...

...and we can't forget Uncle Dan. The one who everyone said "Just wait till YOU have kids!!!"

You shall teach them to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.--Deuterononomy 11:19 ESV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home